Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Welcome Change

For some time now I've wanted to change the light fixture in my dining room.


Now keep in mind, this is the fixture I bought in 2000 when we first moved into the house.


Oh, who am I trying to kid?  That light fixture was already going out of style when I got it.  But it gave off a pretty amber glow, and at $54 it was very affordable.

As the years passed the brass part of the fixture stood out like a sore thumb.  It didn't go with anything else in the entire house.  I wanted something with a bronze finish, similar to what I already had in the master bedroom and kitchen, but I couldn't find one I liked at a price I was willing to pay.  Sure, there were some nice light fixtures at Lowe's and Home Depot, but they were either too fancy, too plain, the wrong color, or much too expensive.  I actually saw a small chandelier at Home Depot before Christmas that had 3 lights and cost $80, but I decided to wait till after Christmas and see if there was a sale or something else that appealed to me more.  Boy, am I glad I waited!  Here is my new chandelier:


 Isn't it beautiful?!  It's a dark bronze finish, and the glass shades are an amber color which I like because it gives off a soft glow.  The finish matches the detail on the dining room table and china cabinet, and also on the wall hangings next to the china cabinet, on the left.


And you know what the best part is?  The price!  I wasn't even looking for a light fixture; I was at Costco buying some stuff I needed, and I remembered we were out of AA batteries.  I get the Costco brand because they're just as good as Duracell for a lot less money.  In the same aisle I happened to catch a glance of this lovely light fixture, and noticed that it was everything I'd wanted - 5 lights, antique bronze finish, not too fancy but not too plain, with the right color glass shades.  I figured it must cost anywhere from $150 to $200, since that's the price I'd seen similar ones at the home improvement stores going for.  Imagine my absolute delight when I read $69.99!!  I almost couldn't believe it.  I snatched it up quick!  It was really easy to install.  I was doing it by myself, when J showed up to see E and offered to help.  It made the installation go quicker, but anyone could do it.  The instructions are clear, and as long as you go step by step it's a breeze.  I am so happy with my new chandelier!  It's just what this space needed to make it cohesive with the rest of the house.  I think I'll go admire it now for awhile!

2 comments:

Susan B said...

I like your new light fixture! It's very pretty. We need to buy a new one for our dining room, and the entry way. I'm hoping we'll be able to get new ones in the next few months. :)

Footnut said...

I like the new lamp fixture!!!! Love Costco